The FBI reports that in 2014 there were over nine million home property crimes in the United States. There are many things that you can do to protect your home from potential burglaries. Most homeowner’s insurance policies do cover loss from burglaries, but we know you would prefer not to have to deal with this situation.
If you have tangible assets, you need the protection of a homeowners insurance policy. These policies cover you in a home or an apartment, whether you are an owner or a renter. A well-written homeowners policy will pay to replace any of your personal property that is lost to theft. The policy will also be your first line of defense against a lawsuit from someone injured at your home.
- Get a security system.
- Be careful with your trash; don’t toss out personal information.
- Stop your mail and newspaper when traveling.
- Limit landscaping close to your house.
- Don’t advertise your vacation on social media.
- Leave lights on when gone.
- Always lock your garden sheds and garages.
- Use a variable light timer to activate lights inside your home.
- Lock your doors and windows.
- If you are gone, arrange for your lawn to be mowed.
- Have adequate exterior lighting.
Leap / Carpenter / Kemps, is Merced County’s largest locally-owned agency, we have an experienced staff of professionals who understand that each family has unique insurance needs and that the one-size-fits-all approach just doesn’t work. Our agents have access to more carriers and more plans, and that means that they have more options, including multiple policy discounts and preferred premium pricing, to create the best possible combination of coverage to protect your family while lowering your costs.