Simple Ways To Protect Your California Home from Burglars
Watercraft Safety Tips from Leap / Carpenter / Kemps
What's Trending in California Healthcare?
We are entering the long days of the California summer, and many of us will soon be enjoying water skiing, boating, and riding personal watercraft with our family and friends. According to the U.S. Coast Guard, over 85% of water related accidents occur between May and August. In 2014, the U.S. Coast Guard reported more than 4,000 accidents, 500 deaths and over $40 million in damage from boating accidents.
Before you hit the water make sure you have the right kind of watercraft or boat insurance. You will need coverage for the hull, and watercraft liability coverage in the event of an injury. Boat policies can cover damage to your boat, motor, trailer, and personal effects in the boat. Available coverage includes liability, medical payments, coverage for injury to a water skier, and damage to the boat itself, sometimes called hull coverage. Call our office today for more information.
Watercraft Safety Tips
- Have U.S. Coast Guard approved life jackets for everyone in the boat.
- Have a first aid kit and fire extinguisher onboard.
- Make sure your gas tanks are vented and bilges are free of vapors, oil, waste, and grease.
- Avoid alcohol use. According to the U. S. Coast Guard, alcohol use is the contributing factor in nearly 16% of all fatal boating accidents.
- Consider taking a safety course.
- We know you have a million things to do, but learning CPR should be on the top of the list. It will give you tremendous peace of mind.
- Have a working marine radio onboard at all times and know how to use it.
- Have operable boat lights. Always test boat lights before the boat leaves the dock and carry extra batteries.
- Be aware of dehydration – Have plenty of water for all individuals onboard.
Boat or Marine insurance is available for small boats, yachts, high performance powerboats, live-aboard houseboats, catamarans, and pontoons. Marine insurance will cover intended use including personal recreation, commercial, or charter vessels.
At Leap / Carpenter / Kemps, Merced County’s largest locally-owned agency, we have an experienced staff of professionals who understand that each family has unique insurance needs and that the one-size-fits-all approach just doesn’t work.