Personal Insurance Products You Need in the Summer

Leap | Carpenter | Kemps Insurance Agency | Jun 23, 2020 | minute read
Person jumping in lake

Summer means there are more daylight hours for activity for you and your family. With the kids home from school and vacations planned, it is important to understand the various risks involved. With increased car travel in the summer, injuries from auto accidents almost triple, according to the National Safety Council.

Let us look at some of the top causes of accidents during the spring and summer. These are not in any particular order.

  • Boating and Personal Water Craft Injuries — there were over 2,900 boating injuries in the United States in 2016. Over 700 people died because of watercraft-related accidents.
  • Grilling accidents — one of the leading causes of burn injuries is grilling.
  • Swimming — in the United States, on average, 6,700 people die from drowning annually, and over 4,000 people receive treatment from injuries suffered in a swimming pool accident.
  • Fireworks — this is the leading cause of injury in the month of July.
  • Bicycling-related injuries — over 800 people die annually from bike-related accidents.
  • ATV, dirt bike, and motorcycle injuries — there are over 14,000 serious injuries related to the operation of these kinds of vehicles annually.
  • Amusement rides — over 4,000 people are injured from amusement park rides.
  • Trampoline injuries — over a 9-year period, over 1 million people were injured from trampolines. (
  • Illness or injury while on vacation — thousands of people get sick or are injured while on vacation or in foreign countries.

Sources: Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center, National Safety Council, American Academy of Pediatrics,, and

There are Insurance Products That Help Manage Your Summer Risks

Many good personal insurance products can help you manage your summertime risks. Some of these products you may have already and others you may want to consider. Some of these personal insurance products are designed to protect your family while others can protect your personal property.

Coverage for Swimming Pools


A standard homeowner's insurance policy will not cover the liability associated with a swimming pool. If you own an in-ground or above ground swimming pool, you will need to have the coverage added to your homeowner's insurance policy. It is also important to insure damage to the pool itself. In-ground pools may not have as much risk, but they are subject to earthquake and flood damage.

Watercraft Insurance

It is important to have insurance for your boats, jet skis or other watercraft. If you own a boat, it is necessary to have insurance coverage for the hull, trailer, and watercraft liability. Watercraft insurance is not part of your homeowners or renter’s insurance program, it is a separate coverage. There are additional types of coverage for fishing equipment, personal property, skis and related equipment as well as specialized electronics you may have on your boat.   

Coverage for Wildfires

In California, wildfire risks are very real and need to be managed. A standard homeowners or renter’s insurance policy should cover loss or damage as result of wildfires.  If you live in a high-risk area (high wind areas or canyons), you will pay more for additional coverage.

If you suffer damage because of a wildfire, your homeowner’s insurance should cover the damage to your structure and personal property, and if you have additional living expenses coverage, it will cover a temporary place to stay.  If you have comprehensive coverage on your vehicles, they would be covered as well.

Travel Insurance

Most people do not need travel insurance. Your health insurance may cover you for illness or injury while you are traveling within the U.S. If you plan on foreign travel this summer, you may want to consider some form of travel coverage. Some of the travel insurance programs include coverage for medical treatment, medical travel expenses, and cancellation penalties from airlines and hotels. It may pay to have us prepare a quote for you to consider.

RV Insurance

RV use increases during the summer holiday season. If you own an RV, it will need to be insured under a separate RV insurance policy. Insurance for your motorhome or trailer offers many of the same benefits and features of an auto insurance policy. RV’s and motorhomes are complex vehicles that often require specialized coverage. Some of the items this coverage can include are:

  • Medical payments
  • Collision damage
  • Towing and labor costs
  • Vehicle rental costs
  • Bodily injury
  • Property damage

Renting Your Home

Many people rent part of their home to supplement their income. Some insurers may allow a short-term rental of your primary residence under your homeowner’s insurance policy. Other insurance companies may require additional coverage. All homeowner’s insurance policies exclude coverage for “business” related activities. If you are renting your home, you may need a separate policy. It is recommended that you contact our office for a review of your homeowner’s insurance program.

Enjoy the summer with your family and friends, but make sure you have the right personal insurance to protect your fun.

Share This Blog

Like our content? Subscribe to Our Blog!


Related Articles

About The Author

LCK Insurance Agency is one of California's most prominent independent insurance agencies. They offer commercial business insurance, employee benefits, life & health insurance, and personal insurance.

Need more Specific Advice?

Tell us about your exposures, and we'll write an article about how we would mitigate your risk.